Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chandler Mountain, Alabama

I am sitting on a hammock overlooking Chandler Mountain, in northern Alabama. I have a glass of wine, a sweet dog at my feet, and there's a little hint of fall breeze in the air.  Could life be any better at this moment?  Oh!  And I celebrate two years married to my love this weekend.  :)

We are here for a family reunion tomorrow, and decided to make the most of it by bringing our bikes and renting a cabin here from the Nature Conservancy for a little weekend/anniversary getaway.  My grandmother grew up on this mountain raising cotton and running wild through the hills and creeks.  And today I showed Ethan all of the hot spots like the swimming hole, Horse Pens 40, and the scenic overlooks.

After all of the sights of Egypt, Central America, and the big cities we have explored, it feels right to slow down for a weekend in the South and soak up some of our roots (and fall weather, oh how I've missed Fall!).

I love:
...the feel of tired legs after a day of hiking and biking.
...finding fossils in the dry creek bed.
...showing Ethan my Alabama...and bonus!  It's even more awesome than I remember up here on the mountain.


the namesake for this place; Bonsai Point

No comments:

Post a Comment