Saturday, June 26, 2010

Boca, Bar Mitzvahs...

To understand a Bar Mitzvah in Boca Raton, one has to first understand the familial bond forged when a culture is transplanted. My dad grew up in a tight-knit Jewish community in Brooklyn, NY. On his block and in his small apartment building, he grew up surrounded by family and friends; most of whom had recently emigrated from Eastern Europe. Like so many other families like mine, these relationships stood the test of time and, of course, the move to Florida.


I don’t know what number or how many times removed Michael and I are, but that technicality is moot. Put a bunch of Jews in a room and we are all family!


Arlene and Stacey

Let me set the stage for this experience: Imagine generations of strong traditionalism crossed with the flash of south Florida panache ala Will Smith’s “Welcome to Miami” video. . .

The brothers Levine

Jews + Hip Hop = “White Hot”


This was the theme of the Bar Mitzvah party thrown by our hosts, my cousins, the Myers! The party in the evening was awesome, to say the least. I vaguely remember having a Bar Mitzvah of my own, but I can tell you with absolutely clarity that I didn’t have simulcast video projections of the dance floor, I didn’t have fly girls, and I didn’t have a pimp ass white suit!

The Bar Mitzvah makes his paparazzi entrance!


Ethan and Steph gettin' down
 
Attention to detail is an understatement. I mean, my cousin has a white hot art deco inspired Logo! If Michael wanted to launch his own men’s clothing line or fragrance, his brand has been established!




Even though the party was awesome, let’s not forget that we were celebrating a coming of age (actually called “becoming a Bar Mitzvah”). Diligent study of the Torah and a personal commitment to tradition are a necessary step towards becoming a Bar Mitzvah. The party is the icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment